The Conference of the Parties
1. appreciates the contribution of ANPED, EURAC, REC and the Italian Ministry of Environment, Land and Sea to the Carpathian Convention implementation process and encourages and invites their further contributions to the Carpathian Convention process, as contained in the document UNEP/CC/COP1/13 and its Annexes.
2. takes note of information submitted in the Annexes, as contained in the Secretariat note on cross-cutting issues, including awareness raising, education and public participation UNEP/CC/COP1/13, and in UNEP/CC/COP1/INF.5, UNEP/CC/COP1/INF.6, UNEP/CC/COP1/INF.7 and UNEP/CC/COP1/INF.8;
3. stresses the importance of the ongoing interactive process to produce national and regional assessments of the policy, legislative and institutional frameworks for implementation of the Carpathian Convention, prepared by the REC and EURAC with the support of Italy.
4. requests the interim Secretariat to support public participation in decision-making relating to the protection and sustainable development of the Carpathians, and to the implementation of the Carpathian Convention;
5. supports and recommends to establish and develop national mechanisms to foster the implementation of the Carpathian Convention, including information, involvement and capacity building of all relevant stakeholders and civil society, related to the progress and the further development of the Carpathian Convention;
6. requests the interim Secretariat to strengthen the cooperation with the Aarhus Convention Secretariat, and with the assistance of the interim Secretariat and the involvement of ANPED, REC and other interested partners, including REC, to ensure the practice and outreach of the Carpathian Convention following Aarhus principles;
7. requests the interim Secretariat to provide for opportunities for outreach, involvement and the active participation of civil society in the development of the Convention, through its official work, and development of protocols and projects;
8. requests the interim Secretariat to work with ANPED and other interested partners to establish a communication system to provide for distribution of information on the progress of the Convention to the wider civil society;
9. requests the interim Secretariat to ensure that the adequate links are been made between the work on cross-cutting issues and the work and activities of the Working Group on spatial planning.