- The Ninth General Assembly of States Parties to the Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage was held in Paris, at UNESCO Headquarters, on 29 and 30 October, during the twenty-seventh session of the General Conference.
- One hundred and fifteen of the one hundred and thirty-six States Parties to the Convention were represented at this meeting.
- The representatives of two intergovernmental organizations and two non-governmental organizations attended the meeting as observers.
- The list of participants is given is Annex I of this document.
- In accordance with the Rules of Procedure of the General Assembly, the Secretariat of the Assembly was ensured by the World Heritage Centre of UNESCO.
- In his opening address, the Assistant Director-General for Culture, representing the Director-General, spoke of the progress made in the implementation of the World Heritage Convention to which 136 States are now party; as from the Committee's sixteenth session, the World Heritage List included 378 properties in 86 countries. The success of the Convention could also be measured by the growing interest in it shown by the media and the general public, and by the numerous initiatives for publications, films, exhibitions, etc., to which it has given rise. He recalled that the twentieth anniversary of the adoption of the Convention had been celebrated enthusiastically by most of the States and the events organized on this occasion had further increased public interest. The Convention also encouraged the involvement of new partners, as, for instance, the Organization of World Heritage Finally, he reminded the States Parties of their obligation to preserve properties inscribed on the World Heritage List, and of the World Heritage Committee's increasing efforts to ensure regular monitoring of the state of these properties, with the assistance of ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM, and also, on a broader scale, with competence drawn from the different regions of the world.